Los Angeles is a city that represents many various styles of architecture. I have a great appreciation for its historical architecture, especially buildings from the 1920’s. Currently, I am working with a property investor on a 1922 built Mediterranean revival apartment building. It’s had several past owners and granted, not always the best maintenance nor improvements. However, I’m happy to be working with a real estate investment company that intends to preserve the building, with the goal of renovating the exterior to an updated version of it’s original and for the interiors, maintaining much of the original aesthetics with a contemporary remodeled kitchen and bathroom (as neither exist to what was original). I met with the clients for a property walk through just prior to our current quarantine. Since our initial meeting, I’ve been able to start working on the design planning process in anticipation of the future renovation. Wanted to share the process from concept ideas to design drawings and finish selections.
I always begin projects by putting together concept boards with images to help define the ideas and direction with notes to convey to the client. These are the ideas for the exterior paint colors and wrought iron details.
Some ideas for the exterior landscape, including the client’s request for drought resistant vegetation.
Ideas for the interiors incorporating much of the existing aesthetics.
The kitchen will be completely gutted and brought up to date. These ideas reflect a whole new look.
Like the kitchen, the bathroom will be completely renovated with the exception of preserving a dressing area that includes built-in cabinets.
The concept board with fixture and finish selections.
Elevation drawings for the kitchen.
Plan drawing and electrical for the new kitchen layout.
A concept board for the bathroom materials and selections.
The elevation drawings for the bathroom.
A plan and electrical plan for the bathroom remodel.
A concept board featuring the exterior and interior paint colors and all the finish materials together.
Looking forward to the next steps and seeing this project come to life!
As an interior designer, sourcing for projects online has always been a part of my business. I find that it is an efficient model to do research, a time saving means for clients, and as I become more familiar with finds, I increase my to go to resources. Considering today’s market and the current need for shopping online, it’s advantageous to build a relationship with a source for artwork since I include art selections in every project that I do. Art Habit is an online boutique gallery showcasing original paintings for sale from all over the world. Having a go to online shop curating art finds that I can incorporate into my projects is a really beneficial source.
Art Habit is a contemporary online art gallery featuring original paintings for sale. They represent twenty-five artists, both nationally recognized and emerging, with a wide variety of styles and price points.
After launching in March 2020, Art Habit has marketed themselves to a broad audience consisting of art collectors, home decor enthusiasts, and interior design firms. With over 500 pieces in their inventory, their online platform makes it easy to search for artwork by artist, price, size, or style. You can also browse the "top picks".
As more and more art is being sold each year via online platforms, Art Habit is poised to serve an ever-growing demand. With a commitment to featuring only the most unique, highly-sought after pieces, you can rest assured that when you shop with Art Habit you are purchasing a painting that is a great investment- both emotionally and financially.
The founder of Art Habit has an entrepreneurial background and has been involved previously in companies serving niche markets such as luxury ground transportation and private aviation. Their management understands the nuances of bringing a luxury product to market and filling an essential need for an appropriate client base.
I truly believe Art Habit will have longevity in this industry as their showcase is second-to-none and they truly have revolutionized a very traditional method of buying / sourcing art in a way that even the most novice collector can access.
Looking for a unique gift idea to give someone digitally? Currently offering online interior design consulting in both half hour or hourly increments. A great gift for the person who might need ideas and feedback for any of their design dilemmas. Works by emailing photos and questions of a room and in return they’ll be provided design ideas, solutions, links, photos, etc. E-Cards are available in increments starting at a half hour for $50. Please email for more info: JSInteriorDes@aol.com
Our current situation is leading us to take our business online more than ever before. The power of social media marketing is an important tool in all of this, too. I have long been providing online design; since the early days of 2006. However, it’s always been a balance of local in person clients along with online services. Recently, as with many of us, the in person relationship has had to transition to a completely virtual world. Many businesses, such as showrooms and stores have had to adapt to a completely digital world.
Embello Inc has published a great article regarding our current economic situation and the adaptability business’s have taken to maintain an online presence. Happy to be mentioned in this feature about the ways I’m including online design services to my clients.
Check out the entire post here on the Embello site.
With many of us spending more time in our homes in recent days, coming weeks, the novelty may soon wear off - if it hasn’t already! Our homes should be a place of respite, where we enjoy being in that is both comfortable and functional. Long periods at home might start getting to you (aka cabin fever) and to combat the urge to get out - I offer some ways to make staying at home for a length of time ....well, more habitable.
1. Consider rearranging your existing furniture. As they say, a change of scenery is always good. Considering your current scenery is your home, it might be a refreshing change to work with the pieces you already have. Mix it up. Move things from room to room. Be creative. Don’t be afraid of change. When I was little I was constantly rearranging the furniture in my tiny little bedroom. I enjoy the challenge of space planning. If you’d like some help, I offer 2 for 1 design layouts ($150 per room with two layout options). More info here.
2. Think about moving yourself round. Try working or spending time in different areas of your home throughout the day. Perhaps start your morning at the dining room table or kitchen counter. Step into your home office by mid-day. Venture outdoors for a bit for fresh air in the afternoon. Spend some time working from the sofa with a glass of wine later in the day. Retire to the bedroom by evening to wrap up those last few emails. Whatever it is, whatever you can do to mix things up - it might be fun to test out different places in your home to discover where you like being the best!
3. Take to your walls! Since many a day may pass that you are staring at those exact same walls perhaps now is a good time to create that gallery wall with art or family photos that you may have been wanting to do or move around some existing art pieces or even rearrange and bring in a few new art pieces or wall decor. Should you need any help, I offer hourly consultations and can help make recommendations for placement or create a gallery wall on a concept board like the one above. Design consulting for something like this is available as an online service too, more info here.
4. Bring in new accessories. A great to revive any room is by changing out or updating with new accessories. It could be seasonal, it could be bringing in a whole new color scheme, or if you want to include current trends - definitely consider doing that with accessories that don’t have to break the bank. For the concept board above, I helped a client layer in accessories for a great room playing off their existing console and other elements of the kitchen and family room areas.
5. Create an outdoor living space. Warmer days are coming and with so much time indoors, now is the perfect time to consider creating an outdoor area as an extension of your home to take advantage of that indoor outdoor living. Whether it’s your backyard, balcony, patio, front entry, or even a little landing - any place of respite will be welcoming when you need to get outside for some fresh air. Having a comfortable spot to sit, or work, with some added accessories adds another room to your home.
6. Paint color! One of the least expensive options and a DIY project if you’re up to it - is a fresh coat of paint. New paint colors can make a room - or rooms - look completely different too. If you want to be creative, try an accent walls, painting stripes, or half walls and experiment with different sheens too. Glossier walls add more reflection and can make a small room look larger too. If you need help with paint color selection or creative paint techniques, happy to help with online or onsite paint color consultations.
7. Finishes! While it may be a more involved project - sometimes it’s needed. Updated finishes makes an even bigger impact. That may mean changing out carpet to hardwood floors, small tiles to larger stone or tile, wall surfaces, and don’t forget about the grout! Minimal grout lines offer a cleaner more expansive look too.
8. Bedding and drapery. Probably the easiest most refreshing change of all - updated bedding or window treatments. Like with accessories, it could be a seasonal change but it may also just be time to replace worn bedding or tired looking drapery panels. There are also many other options for window treatments if you want to consider a whole new look.
9. The need for a home office. With working at home more now, there is definitely a need for a designated work area. You may need peace & quiet, less disruption, more organization and storage, and / or a presentable area for virtual meetings. I am currently offering a flat rate home office design package for $375 per room, details here.
10. A complete room redesign! Last but not least, there may just be that one room in your home that isn’t functioning right or is in need of a redesign. Along with that comes the all important and well thought out design planning. It’s important that the furniture pieces fit right for the space, often a need to take a creative look at how to make the room function well for all its purposes, along with coordinating art, accessories, colors, etc. For all of that, I offer a complete flat rate room design package for just $500 that includes all the design plans and resources that you can use to implement and purchase as your time and budget allow.
Looking to improve your home office space and / or make it more presentable for virtual meetings? Offering a flat rate home office design for any areas of your home that need to be transitioned to a comfortable and conducive work space.
Email your room dimensions along with pictures of the room & any existing furniture you want to incorporate and receive a complete room design which will consist of:
Flat rate home office design package special for just $375.
Having an office at home can be a great advantage, whether you are self-employed or have a flexible work schedule, should your work allow that freedom. A home office offers convenience but at the same rate, many need an organized work area free of distractions. If you happen to be co-working with a partner, you might need additional space as well. In regard to our current stay at home situation, many are having to convert areas to adjust for working in their own homes. With that comes wanting a presentable space, especially for all those potential video conferences! It’s one thing that we have look presentable and yet another that the background looks good! Of course, as an interior designer I’m always here to help whether it’s a full home office redesign, a bit of styling recommendations, or helping you create a little nook of a space to be able to comfortably work at. Here’s a bit of inspiration for all of the above!
Image via Pinterest
For those working together or having to share office space, a wide desk in a spare room provides side by side seating.
Image via Pinterest
If you live in a small space but want to designate an area of a room as your work space, consider defining it by pairing an accent wall or something fun like stripes as a focal point.
Image via Pinterest
Even a little nook with a writing desk just large enough for a tablet or laptop is a great space saver of a work spot.
Image via Pinterest
If you anticipate interacting with others at your desk, a pair of colorful accent chairs allows for collaboration.
Image via Pinterest
Floating a desk out from the wall with a door or window backdrop streams in natural light and air.
Image via Pinterest
A long narrow desk allows for two pull up chairs. This one works great in a narrow room or wide hallway.
Image via Pinterest
Even a little writing desk makes great use of a secondary room or living room nook.
Image via Pinterest
A DIY option might be a long wood surface top to create a side by side work station, possibly even carved out of a nook area off the dining or kitchen areas.
Image via Pinterest
For the smallest of spaces, even just a stool at counter height makes for work spot with open shelving above creating the smallest workable area ever but can be created out of a niche area.
Image via Pinterest
Looking presentable, a well styled desk and concealed storage above. Adding a bit of greenery livens up the space too.
If you’re in need of design help for your own home office or work space, I offer a flat rate home office design package for $375 per room. More details here.
Book a design consultation for any of your interior design needs online or on-site!
Can help with:
Paint color selections for interior or exterior.
Remodeling feedback on design direction, layout, colors, finishes, materials, etc.
Room design functionality, layout, ideas, concept, direction, sources.
Staging ideas for home resale or new home buyer feedback / moving in help.
For home, office, retail, and any other design advice you are looking for.
Available for on-site meetings in the LA/OC areas and online for anyone, anywhere (by forwarding photos of rooms or space needing help with. Design ideas and direction will be provided in written feedback with ideas, concepts, links, color selections, solutions, etc.)
Design consultations $100/hr. Can also be purchased as a gift with no expiration.
Please email with any questions: JSInteriorDes@aol.com
I recently discovered the online shopping site of Studio Pennylane and love the concept behind it: an offering of Jewelry, Candles, Glassware, & Paper Goods that promote gratitude, hope, and well being.
Why the penny?
We say, “Every time you see a penny think of something you’re grateful for”. A simple penny becomes a sign to choose our thoughts consciously.
For some finding a penny is "lucky." For others it's an affirmation of abundance. Many of us have stumbled on that "penny from heaven" that provided comfort and direction just when we needed it most.
Regardless of what resonates, pennies have stories and our company was birthed from one.
The simple fact is when we focus on things that energize us, empower us, or create harmony in our hearts, our world changes.
When we spot a Penny on the ground, in that moment lives both Gratitude and Mindfulness. We see the penny, it has our attention, and we are Grateful that the Penny has come to us.
When we feel good it affects our actions and behaviors and that generates a ripple effect of goodness out into the world.
Studio Pennylane’s Mission:
Change your thoughts, change the world, one penny at a time.
Studio Penny Lane was created to promote a global educational movement fostering Mindful Awareness for children. The goal is to positively reset the direction of how we teach our children by eliminating patterns of negativity, fear, and helplessness, and to replace them with the tools to love without condition, dream courageously, and recognize and nurture each child’s true gifts. Their intention is to empower youth to create positive change in their own lives and ultimately their families, schools, communities, and the world.
A sampling of some of the great gift giving products Studio Pennylane has to offer:
The Apothecary Jars collection: Pennies From Heaven Apothecary Clear with Gold print
Candles: Be Brave…it takes courage to change and follow your dreams 3 oz. Lavender Scent
With Spring / Summer around the corner, comes home renovations conducive to optimizing your outdoor or exterior designs. A product that architects, designers, and contractors use for pool covers, pergolas, carports, and awnings is: Azenco International.
Azenco imagines, designs and manufactures a range of high-quality outdoor and pool cover systems. With unique designs and recognized knowledge, Azenco constantly improves the technicality of the pool covers, bioclimatic pergolas, carports and awnings. The company innovates by developing patents each year to bring new contemporary outdoor designs, exclusive options and more safety to any outdoor living space. From inground pool automatic solar covers or pool decks to modular pergolas, Azenco’s products are fully adjustable and fits all types of spaces. Additionally, the outdoor layout specialist innovative outdoor solutions are wind-resistant and don’t rust.
Created in 2011, Azenco Groupe became fastly one the main company providing pool enclosures, slatted covers and outdoor layouts in Europe and in the United States.
With its unique design and its recognize knowledge, Azenco develops every year new patented with new finishing touches, contemporary designs and exclusives options to bring more pleasure, comfort, and security to your outdoor space.
The R-Shade pergola fits any outdoor space and suits all styles of architecture: modern, contemporary or classic. R-Shade protects from the sun, the rain or the snow. The insulated sandwich panels regulate the outside temperature. R-Shade is also waterproof and wind-resistant.
The R-Blade pergola protects from the sun in summer and allows the light and heat to penetrate in winter. R-Blade can be equipped with an automated solution allowing better climate management with a sensor system: rain sensor for automatic closing, wind sensor for automatic opening in case of strong wind and temperature sensor integrated into the Automatic opening in case of snow or frost conditions.
Additionally, some of the key benefits are that the R-Blade is fully modular, made of high-quality materials, and has automatic climate control. Options include: infrared heating system, wind and/or rain sensors for automatic closing, LED rail climate control.
Azenco aLOS obtains new patents every year and some of the unique features offered are:
1. No visible hardware.
2. No apparent gutters (located into the posts for better evacuation).
3. Fully adjustable to any outdoor space.
4. Twin-wall louvers for the R-BLADE (unique in the market) for better sealing, resistance, and longevity.
Azenco’s carports are ideal for parking your car outside your home, in your garden, or driveway. The carport is made of a thermolacquered aluminum structure certified Qualicoat Qualimarine with slabs treated of alveolar polycarbonate Anti-UV double face. The carports are also ideal for multiple vehicles.
Pooldeck is a clever solution that transforms your pool cover into a deck or patio with its discreet and contemporary design. It’s a 3 in 1 solution that fits most pool sizes. Options include an internal motor, gray or black colors, & a Qualicoat aluminum structure guaranteed for ten years. The benefits provide effective thermal protection, variety of configurations, space optimization, & a solar powered motor.
Neo is a telescope pool enclosure consisting of nestled panels of different widths that fit into each other. This allows for you to uncover your pool as you wish, either module by module or entirely.
The shapes of the telescopic pool enclosure are made of aluminum thermocoated Qualicoat QualiMarine label and the plates are made of 8 mm alveolar polycarbonate treated double-side anti-UV for the roof and transparent polycarbonate 4mm on the sides. The profiles have also a ventilation canal which limits and evacuates the condensation of the polycarbonate plates. The EPDM seals between the profiles and the plates ensure an excellent water tightness.
R-Design is a “bubble for your pool”. The pool enclosure is ideal for making your pool a pool yiu can use year round, essentially an indoor pool that can still be open to your garden or backyard.
A true living room, the Azenco’s high pool enclosure brings a real added value to your house and your garden. Offering a wide space enough to circulate around the pool, you can arrange it as you wish (shower area, relaxation area, garden garden furniture, etc.)
For more info and products, please visit Azenco on the following links:
https://azenco-outdoor.com/ Instagram: @azencous https://www.instagram.com/azencous/
FB: @azenco.us https://www.facebook.com/azenco.us/
LinkedIn: Azenco international https://www.linkedin.com/company/azenco-international/
Looking for interior design help? Offering design consultations and online design for anyone, anywhere. Happy to help with any of your design needs!
Offering sponsored blog posts + social media campaigns, details here.
Gift Cards E-Cards for Design Consultations, more info here.
Online Design: complete flat rate room design, for anyone, anywhere. More info here.
Book A Design Consultation On-Site or Online for anyone, anywhere! Details here
Window Treatment Consultations
Moving Day Services
Design Layouts, 2 for 1!
Color Consultation for Interior/Exterior
Flat Rate Kitchen & Bathroom Design Package. Details here.
Flat Rate Home Office Design, just $375 here.
Flat Rate Outdoor Design, $450. Details here.
Flat Rate Room Design for Kids! $500 per room, details here.
“Work with what you got!” - Room Makeovers. Details here.