With many of us spending more time in our homes in recent days, coming weeks, the novelty may soon wear off - if it hasn’t already! Our homes should be a place of respite, where we enjoy being in that is both comfortable and functional. Long periods at home might start getting to you (aka cabin fever) and to combat the urge to get out - I offer some ways to make staying at home for a length of time ....well, more habitable.
1. Consider rearranging your existing furniture. As they say, a change of scenery is always good. Considering your current scenery is your home, it might be a refreshing change to work with the pieces you already have. Mix it up. Move things from room to room. Be creative. Don’t be afraid of change. When I was little I was constantly rearranging the furniture in my tiny little bedroom. I enjoy the challenge of space planning. If you’d like some help, I offer 2 for 1 design layouts ($150 per room with two layout options). More info here.
2. Think about moving yourself round. Try working or spending time in different areas of your home throughout the day. Perhaps start your morning at the dining room table or kitchen counter. Step into your home office by mid-day. Venture outdoors for a bit for fresh air in the afternoon. Spend some time working from the sofa with a glass of wine later in the day. Retire to the bedroom by evening to wrap up those last few emails. Whatever it is, whatever you can do to mix things up - it might be fun to test out different places in your home to discover where you like being the best!
3. Take to your walls! Since many a day may pass that you are staring at those exact same walls perhaps now is a good time to create that gallery wall with art or family photos that you may have been wanting to do or move around some existing art pieces or even rearrange and bring in a few new art pieces or wall decor. Should you need any help, I offer hourly consultations and can help make recommendations for placement or create a gallery wall on a concept board like the one above. Design consulting for something like this is available as an online service too, more info here.
4. Bring in new accessories. A great to revive any room is by changing out or updating with new accessories. It could be seasonal, it could be bringing in a whole new color scheme, or if you want to include current trends - definitely consider doing that with accessories that don’t have to break the bank. For the concept board above, I helped a client layer in accessories for a great room playing off their existing console and other elements of the kitchen and family room areas.
5. Create an outdoor living space. Warmer days are coming and with so much time indoors, now is the perfect time to consider creating an outdoor area as an extension of your home to take advantage of that indoor outdoor living. Whether it’s your backyard, balcony, patio, front entry, or even a little landing - any place of respite will be welcoming when you need to get outside for some fresh air. Having a comfortable spot to sit, or work, with some added accessories adds another room to your home.
6. Paint color! One of the least expensive options and a DIY project if you’re up to it - is a fresh coat of paint. New paint colors can make a room - or rooms - look completely different too. If you want to be creative, try an accent walls, painting stripes, or half walls and experiment with different sheens too. Glossier walls add more reflection and can make a small room look larger too. If you need help with paint color selection or creative paint techniques, happy to help with online or onsite paint color consultations.
7. Finishes! While it may be a more involved project - sometimes it’s needed. Updated finishes makes an even bigger impact. That may mean changing out carpet to hardwood floors, small tiles to larger stone or tile, wall surfaces, and don’t forget about the grout! Minimal grout lines offer a cleaner more expansive look too.
Thankfully, when it comes to finishing up your home and furnishing, there are lots and lots of different companies that can do this job. Just look around at some of the floor refinishing companies available to see what kind of flooring you can end up with. When you’re dealing with the finishing touches, you’re going to want to be happy with what you see, of course.
8. Bedding and drapery. Probably the easiest most refreshing change of all - updated bedding or window treatments. Like with accessories, it could be a seasonal change but it may also just be time to replace worn bedding or tired looking drapery panels. There are also many other options for window treatments if you want to consider a whole new look.
9. The need for a home office. With working at home more now, there is definitely a need for a designated work area. You may need peace & quiet, less disruption, more organization and storage, and / or a presentable area for virtual meetings. I am currently offering a flat rate home office design package for $375 per room, details here.
10. A complete room redesign! Last but not least, there may just be that one room in your home that isn’t functioning right or is in need of a redesign. Along with that comes the all important and well thought out design planning. It’s important that the furniture pieces fit right for the space, often a need to take a creative look at how to make the room function well for all its purposes, along with coordinating art, accessories, colors, etc. For all of that, I offer a complete flat rate room design package for just $500 that includes all the design plans and resources that you can use to implement and purchase as your time and budget allow.
Looking for interior design help? Offering design consultations and online design for anyone, anywhere. Happy to help with any of your design needs!
Offering sponsored blog posts + social media campaigns, details here
Gift Cards E-Cards for Design Consultations, more info here.
Online Design: complete flat rate room design, for anyone, anywhere. More info here.
Book A Design Consultation On-Site or Online for anyone, anywhere! Details here
Window Treatment Consultations
Moving Day Services
Design Layouts, 2 for 1!
Color Consultation for Interior/Exterior
Flat Rate Kitchen & Bathroom Design Package. Details here.
Flat Rate Home Office Design, just $375 here.
Flat Rate Outdoor Design, $450. Details here.
Flat Rate Room Design for Kids! $500 per room, details here.
“Work with what you got!” - Room Makeovers. Details here.
Room Refresh! - Room accessorizing services. Details here.